Demerdash Hospital was established in 1928 with a donation from Mr. Abdel Rahim El Demerdash Pasha, and the Faculty of Medicine was established at Ain Shams University in 1947 and was called Demerdash Faculty of Medicine and was affiliated with Fouad I University (currently Cairo University), then it was joined to Ain Shams University in 1950 to be the third Faculty of Medicine in Egypt After the medicine of Cairo and medicine of Alexandria, and attached to it a teaching hospital, the Demerdash Hospital, which includes most of the surgical departments.
The buildings of the Freedom Shelter, adjacent to the hospital, were chosen as the headquarters for the scientific departments: anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry, its museums, and some departments of the final years, such as forensic medicine and preventive medicine. .
The college developed a plan for replacement, renewal and expansion, and the forensic medicine and toxicology building was replaced by the department building, which includes, in addition to the forensic medicine department, the departments of pathology, parasitology, medicine and bacteriology, in addition to the construction of the terrace building, which includes three terraces, and next to it is the metal building, which consists of four floors, two floors of which are allotted examination halls.
Ain Shams College of Medicine is considered one of the oldest Egyptian medical colleges since the date of its establishment in 1947. Many talents and pioneering professors in the field of medicine, management and leadership in Egypt and the world graduated from it, and after completing its golden jubilee (50 years), it became an indispensable fact in the world of medicine. Inside and outside the Arab world because it includes many distinguished medical cadres of medical professors, whose number reached 2,808 faculty members and 1002 support staff who work in 34 departments distributed over ten academic departments within the college and 24 clinical departments in university hospitals, and employing more than ten thousand of The number of students enrolled in the college to obtain a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery reached 6657 students and 3038 for postgraduate studies during the academic year 2011-2012. Ain Shams University Hospitals are located on an area of 24 acres and have approximately 3200 beds serving about one million patients annually in the outpatient clinics and the internal department.