Professor Dr. Mahmoud El-Meteini
- Graduated from Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University in 1985 where he completed his surgical residency program from1987 to 1990.
- Obtained his MSc degree in general surgery in 1989.
- Prof. El-Meteini received his training as a transplant fellow in Cochin University hospital in Paris, France between 1990 and 1992 where he finished his MD thesis in experimental and clinical aspects of liver transplantation.
- In 1992, he spent one year as a registrar in the general surgery department in Saint-Louis University hospital in Paris, France. Upon his return to Egypt, Prof. El-Meteini obtained his MD degree by the end of 1993.
- In 1996, he received an advanced training program in HPB including living donor liver transplantation in Tokyo and Kyoto University hospitals in Japan. In 2001, Prof. El-Meteini initiated and directed the first living liver transplant program, both in adults and pediatrics, in Wady El-Neel hospital in Cairo, Egypt.
- In 2008, he founded the Ain-Shams Center for Organ Transplant (ASCOT) in Ain Shams University.
- In Egypt, he performed the first LDLT in adults, the first dual “liver & kidney’ LDLT, the first domino LDLT in Egypt and the first laparoscopic left lobe hepatectomy in living donor.
- Prof. El-Meteini has published as an author and coauthor in peer reviewed journals and has chaired and presented in many national, regional and international meetings.
- Over a decade, he has been struggling, with his colleagues, for the legislation of an “Organ Transplant Law” regulating the practice in Egypt.
- Prof. El-Meteini was a permanent member in the committee for drafting the law and its executive regulations till it’s approval by the Egyptian parliament in March 2010.
- He was the head of the committee that issued the required parameters, prerequisites and infrastructure for licensing hospitals and healthcare institutions as organ transplant centers.
- He is currently a member of the “Supreme Committee for Organ Transplant” and chairing the “Ethical Committee” within the Supreme Committee.
- He is a member in numerous national and international professional organizations including the Egyptian surgical society, head of the scientific committee of the Egyptian society of liver cancer (ESLC) and a founder member and current secretary general of the Pan-Arab Liver Transplant Society (PALTS).
- He is active member of the international liver transplant society (ILTS) being within the membership committee and the IHPBA and EAHPBA. He was on board for a several healthcare and local pharmaceutical institutions as Egypt air Company for health care services (2007- 2013), Sedico pharmaceuticals (2009-2012).
- Currently, he is a board member of Ain-Shams University Specialized Hospital and Wady El-Neel Benta pharmaceuticals.
- Professor El-Meteini has been appointed as the Dean of Faculty of Medicine Ain Shams University since August, 25th, 2015.